Afghanistan News :
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) says more than 50 boys and girls have died in a series of attacks in Afghanistan over the past week.
UNICEF Regional Director George Laria-Edge tweeted today (Sunday, May 25) that Friday’s explosion inside a mosque in Kunduz reportedly killed at least four children and injured several others.
“In just one week, more than 50 girls and boys have died in a series of heinous human rights abuses in Afghanistan,” she wrote.
He said child casualties in last week’s attacks were expected to be higher.
George Laria-Edge has stressed that violence against children in all its forms must end immediately.
On Tuesday morning last week (30 shocks), the Hazara area west of Kabul witnessed three consecutive explosions that targeted a training center and a school. Dozens of people, mostly students, were killed or injured in the blasts.
Also on Wednesday (May 2), an explosion at the Maulvi Sekandar Mosque in the Imam Sahib district of Kunduz occurred as worshipers and students were forming a circle of remembrance after Friday prayers.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said 33 civilians, including children, had been killed and 43 others wounded in the attack.
The Pakistani military also carried out airstrikes on several villages in the Spira district of Khost and Sheltan Kunar on 27 June, killing civilians and children.
Earlier, Mohammad Agu Ivy, a representative of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), said 20 children had been killed in the attacks.