Qatar’s foreign minister says his country has reached an agreement with the Taliban to resume evacuation flights for foreign nationals and vulnerable Afghans.
The Washington-based Axius News Agency quoted an interview with Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdul Rahman Al Thani as saying on Tuesday (February 12th) that an agreement had been reached with the Taliban on two flights a week, which were operated by Qatar Airways. Done.
The Qatari foreign minister said in an interview with Axius News Agency in Washington, DC, on Monday that the flights to the United States and other countries would allow thousands of foreign nationals and Afghans to be evacuated.
After the complete withdrawal of the United States from Afghanistan, evacuation flights from Kabul were operated by Qatari chartered aircraft. But the flights were suspended in early December due to Taliban opposition.
According to media reports, the reason for the Taliban’s opposition was the lack of seats on flights for members of the group.
Negotiations are also underway to allow an Ariana Airlines weekly flight to Qatar, Axis news agency quoted the Qatari foreign minister as saying.
Qatari officials have said that the first evacuation flight from Kabul to Doha took place on January 26 after a two-month agreement.
After the Taliban took control of Afghanistan in mid-August, the United States evacuated about 125,000 people from Afghanistan, most of them vulnerable Afghans or Afghans who had worked with foreign forces for the past 20 years.
Thousands of other Afghan citizens are still trying to leave the country, claiming that their backgrounds with the former Afghan government or foreign forces and organizations have endangered their lives.