Canadian federal government officials have announced that they have stopped the process of accepting new Afghan immigration applications under the special program of 40,000 immigrants to this country.
The Canadian Department of Immigration has said on Friday, the 24th of Cancer, that it will stop processing new applications and will instead focus on existing applications.
The special program for the admission of Afghans to Canada was announced in August last year after the fall of the republican government in Afghanistan and the return of the Taliban to power.
According to the program announced by the federal government of Canada, 40 thousand immigrants from Afghanistan are to be accepted in Canada, and so far more than 17 thousand of them have entered this country and settled in different Canadian cities.
Canadian officials have already said that more than one million Afghans have applied for the program. This is while the main focus of the program is dedicated to the transfer of interpreters and Afghan colleagues of the Canadian Forces and people who worked with Canadian institutions and the embassy of this country in Kabul.
At the same time, the special program for immigration to Canada includes five groups of people, which are colleagues and interpreters of the Canadian Forces, ethnic minorities, civil activists, journalists, leading women and LGBT people.
The transfer process of the rest of the people whose files have been accepted under this program, and there are only 40,000 people, is supposed to be transferred to Canada by the end of next year.