The Pentagon says that despite three weeks of Russian bombardment of Ukraine, Ukrainian forces have been active on a number of fronts and have liberated some areas from Russian control.
US Department of Defense spokesman John Kirby told Cyanan television today (March 22nd) that, contrary to expectations, the Ukrainians’ resistance to millions of dollars in Western military aid was strong and that the Ukrainians were now acting aggressively in some areas.
“They are following in the footsteps of Russian forces and ousting them from areas where they have been in the past, especially in Mykoliyev in the south of the country, and we have seen an increase in this movement over the past few weeks,” he added.
However, the US Department of Defense official did not confirm reports by Ukrainian officials that a town had been recaptured by Russian forces.
But Mr Kirby added that the allegations were in line with the nature of the war and the capabilities available to Ukrainian forces.
As for Russian forces, a Pentagon spokesman reiterated Western analysts’ view that Russian forces had lost their endurance.
He added that Russian forces are facing a shortage of oil and food and are not uniting their operations jointly, like a modern army.
John Kirby referred to the telecommunication problems between the Russian Air Force and the infantry and how, in some cases, they are forced to use mobile phones.
Russia’s military offensive, which began on February 24, 2022, has not only killed and wounded thousands of soldiers and civilians in the country, but has forced more than 3.5 million people to flee the country. Of the 6.5 million people in that country, they have been displaced from their homes.